Software Placement Opportunities
|Contract Type||Fixed Term Contract|
We have a number of undergraduate opportunities here within our award-winning cloud business, where you will be working across all areas of the software development lifecycle. The team comprises a number of technical disciplines, including Software Engineering & Support, Automation, Systems Monitoring, DevOps (CI/CD), DBA and QA/testing automation. We are flexible and will support you in a preferred specialism of the above, or help to rotate you through roles/projects in the Development team.
As a company, we commit to the use of agile (especially Scrum and Kanban) in our work and employ modern engineering principles for example pairing, TDD/BDD, micro-service architecture.
What we do isn't easy, but it is rewarding and you will be treated and be expected to act like a full member of our team.
Why previous students applied to UKCloud:
“My big drive in joining UKCloud was about putting my knowledge into practice. When I was looking for a placement I had my mind fixed on pushing for a role at GitHub or one of the big Silicon Valley firms and I saw this potential in UKCloud. I first came across UKCloud at an SME networking dinner where I met their Head of Product Management and an existing placement student – the conversation went well and I saw a lot of potential in a career at UKCloud. When I attended the assessment day I saw the way the team operates, the way they interact and that really stuck with me. It was clear from the interview that they were as passionate as me about development and the exceptional talent within the team at UKCloud.” Simon
“There are always lots of exciting projects going on at UKCloud and you are always made to feel like you’re more than just an intern. In the first month I have already been given the responsibility to work on real customer facing projects. I’m also excited to get involved with the regular company socials and continuing learning!” Ollie
"Before joining UKCloud I had some app development and Java/C++ exposure. Not too much of a technical background but I was eager to learn and apply my skills learnt at A-Level/University. This is what attracted me to UKCloud initially. As well as freedom to learn and be exposed to all sorts of business functions – from the development side straight to operations it’s also a company with a goal I strongly believe in. It’s a company that has great relations with its placement students and enables them to thrive." Suhail
Interviews will take place in between October and January and short-listed candidates will be invited to a face-to-face interview
- Telephone interview with the UKCloud Recruitment Team
- Psychometric assessment including ability tests and a self-personality report
- Face to Face Interview with the team
Technical and customer aptitude and knowledge will be assessed during the interview process.
We’d love to hear from you!
Please send us your CV and covering letter, telling us why you’re interested in the role and working with us.
- Currently studying a computer-related University degree, looking for a 12 months placement - you must be in your second year
- An ability in a development language (one of Ruby, Java or Python ideally)
- Self-motivated, and hungry for new experiences, skills and knowledge
- Logical, organised and with high attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and team-working
- Awareness of database technologies and designs including Big Data and its uses
- Some Linux experience, ideally CentOS, RedHat or Ubuntu
- An understanding of the development lifecycle and any exposure to agile helpful
- Experience with software version control, for example Git or SVN
- Some customer services experience and a background knowledge of virtualisation, cloud computing is preferred.
About the company
UKCloud provides an unbeatable, secure UK public cloud. Focussed solely on serving the UK Public Sector. We are committed to assurance and security while delivering flexible, agile and value-based cloud hosting to our customers.
Formed in 2012, UKCloud is based in Farnborough (Hampshire) and Corsham (Wiltshire). We have a team of over 200 people. We are looking for people who want a rewarding career in a business who truly invest in you as an individual.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days' holiday, half a day birthday leave, charity day
- Access to free parking
- Accessible from Farnborough Main railway station
- Social and charity events
- Onsite subsidised facilities - gym, cafe, restaurant
- Friday breakfasts, fruit, and soft drinks
- Flexible working
UKCloud is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants. Applicants must be eligible to work and live in the UK and will be required to undergo and maintain appropriate UK government security clearance.
Look out for us on social media!
You’ll find us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.